January 7, 2014

parsnips? yes please!





   


It's cold.  Like, my wet hair froze stiff when I went outside for one minute to run down to our mailbox. THAT kind of cold.  With weather like this, I know I'm not alone in wanting to eat large amounts of soup.  So, when we found a 1 lb bag of parsnips at Trader Joe's the other day, I snatched it up without hesitation.  I haven't eaten a ton of parsnips in my life, but I've never eaten one I didn't like.  Roasted, pureed, as a sauce or made into soup, when I do eat them I always remark "man I love parsnips."  Combined with one of my other favorite vegetables and roasted for a cozy soup, how could you go wrong?
The answer: you can't.
This recipe for roasted carrot & parsnip soup from realsimple.com was so easy a caveman could do it.  Chop up the vegetables (they don't have to be pretty, but it does help when they're roughly the same size), throw them in a pan with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and roast to golden perfection (I added a few cloves of garlic to my roasting pan, which the recipe doesn't call for, but in my opinion a little roasted garlic never hurts).  Then it's just into the blender with regular old water to be pureed into soup.  I could grow all the ingredients in my own garden (well, except the oil and seasoning, but you know what I meant) and the resulting product is sweet, earthy, and oh-by-the-way…vegan.  Well…it WAS vegan until I put some shards of seaside cheddar on top to make it photograph a little better, but by no means is this necessary.
I cannot wait to eat this tonight when Evin gets home.  The only thing that could improve this meal would maybe be some crusty bread, which I'd TOTALLY bake except we're trying to watch what we eat.
You'd better believe I'm planting a big old patch of carrots as well as trying my hand at growing parsnips in the garden this year.  YUM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...