December 31, 2010

the end of my 365

2010 was a lot of things. It ran its course bearing more photographic opportunities than have any other of my living years—or perhaps I was simply better equipped to save those moments via digital sensor or light-sensitive film. I started the year in Ireland, spent a summer month on the Mediterranean shore, and lived the rest of the year in Virginia, all the while taking more pictures than ever necessary. Some days there were so many photos that I genuinely had a hard time choosing one to represent that day in my year-long project, and other days I was hard pressed to find a scene worthy enough to turn my camera toward. The year was full to bursting with new experiences and opportunities. I saw more of Europe than I ever have, and I think for now I’ve had enough transatlantic plane rides. I had a real grown up job (sort of) to fulfill a requirement for my real grown up college degree and so my summer was spent driving back and forth from home to work with a few free weekends jammed in to spend at the lake with my family and boyfriend. I finished my junior year of college and started my fourth and final year of formal education—for now. I turned 21 and now the state pronounces me mature enough to consume alcohol and I’ve taken more advantage of that than I expected I would.

Photographically, it was a big year. When 2009 started, I decided to do a 365 project but quit before January was out because the start of the digital photography class I took so uninspired me that photography became a terrible chore. At the start of 2010, I vowed to try again and follow through no matter what. I did. I took a photo every day, which really translates into several photos every day in order to get it right. Even the days where the inspiration was absent and the motivation was out the window, I took photos. I used more cameras and accessories than I ever have. My desire for new cameras mounted daily, no matter how many new toys I added to my collection. I became president of the photography club at school, I took photos for my internship and I did portraits for a friend. I started a photo-blog, I entered my photos in a gallery for sale and I’m learning to take this hobby seriously, to do something constructive with it. I didn’t quit, I didn’t cheat, I finished this project. I have improved, I think, and that was part of the whole point.

I am proud, but I am glad it’s over.

In 2011, I’d like to focus on quality rather than quantity for once. If the time and inspiration simply aren’t there for photography, I don’t want to force it. I forced it plenty of times during this project, and I think it maybe helped me grow, but for a while it’s time for a different approach.

Thank you, all of you, for your support throughout the year. The thought that there are people out there who like a few of my photos made it a little easier to keep going even when I really didn’t want to. I did this project for me, but I can’t pretend that the encouragement didn’t help.

Bring it on, 2011!


Cheers, and Happy new year!

1 comment:

  1. this is encouraging to read as i am just starting out and want to hone my skills. i've just started following your blog and u are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...