January 26, 2012
- Foggy mornings. Have I said it before? Maybe. Will I say it many times again? Definitely.
- Things built around nature, rather than in place of it. Maybe a bit idealistic, but I just love to see things built that way...my neighbor has trees growing through their deck, FallingWater's got a waterfall running through it...things like that are cool.
- goodreads.com...I only just made an account, but I'm adding books I've read to my "shelves" and hopefully the next time I go used book shopping, I have a list of relevant things to look for!
- Citrusy desserts...like lemon bars and key lime pie and all that delicious, bright, happy stuff
- shooting film again...I'm on my third roll with the Yashica TLR and as soon as the lens arrives I'll be loading a test roll into my Minolta X700, possibly trying to shoot the whole thing this weekend when I meet up with Porter!
January 23, 2012
January 19, 2012
- Lavender fields. I was so bummed I didn't get to see any during my month in France, but have recently found out that there are several right here in Virginia! Definitely visiting this summer.
- Album art featuring cake. I bought that record at the used book store last week solely for the cake on the cover, and later realized I bought The Rolling Stones' Let It Bleed for basically the same reason (though that one was partially for the music, too)
- Window light...it truly makes for great photos. Especially of food. We all know this, of course, but having shot with my external flash for awhile, it was so nice to use window light again and end up with delicious-looking results :)
- A clean space. Yesterday I began to prepare houseroom for my beautiful new iMac that should be arriving today (provided someone is here to sign for it) and ended up doing a bit of serious cleaning in my room and bathroom...washed the windows, dusted the furniture, etc...it's still sort of a mess because I have too much cluttery lying around everywhere, but it sure is nice to be in a space that just feels cleaner than before. Plus, Evin is visiting this weekend and it would be nice to have the place clean for a change!
- Photos by Laina Briedis...every now and then I come across a photographer on Flickr whose work just makes me really happy. Yesterday, it was this photo that led me to her page...it just happens to be of a place that I'd love to visit, and one of those photos that just makes you feel nostalgic and all that good stuff.
*this week's photos are already posted on chaque semaine...the theme is touch so if you're not already following Holly and I over there, check it out!
January 18, 2012
January 12, 2012
- snow-frosted tree branches (as well as snowy evergreen trees)
- Cap'n Crunch. Ate it til my teeth hurt this weekend.
- smooth river rocks (beach stones count too)...one day I will take a photo of lovely rocks, bring them home with me, paint a room based on the colors from the photo, and display the rocks on shelves.
- this blog post by Brian Ferry. There's a totally gorgeous photo of rocks in there, as well as plenty of beautiful film photographs from Maine in the wintertime. Such a lovely set to scroll through.
- Evin's grandma's black raspberry jelly...I got another jar of it and uuughhh it is the most perfect thing on toast in the morning.
"You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses"
January 9, 2012
January 5, 2012
- Color palettes derived from photographs. I happened upon bighugelabs color palette generator the other day, was fascinated, decided to include it in this week's TILT post, then a day later discovered and spent way too long browsing Creature Comforts' Inspiration Daily/Color Stories tag...now I'm all ready to pick photos and determine a color palette and design rooms around photos. Really. *Don't judge my poor Photoshopping (or should I say GIMPing because no I do not own Photoshop) on the above palette...I'm so bad with that program.
- These snowflake photos. How does mother nature do it? And how did this dedicated guy keep all his fingers while taking these photos? There have been a few snowflakes here and there over the past few days, but in this cold I can hardly stand to take my dog outside to use the bathroom, much less fiddle with a camera!
- Andy Warhol. I got a 12-month Warhol Calendar for Christmas and when I opened it to hang it on the wall, I re-fell in love with his work. The calendar also came with a two-sided poster, which I've hung above my bed (It's yellow and says "You need to let the little things that would ordinarily bore you suddenly thrill you"). I'm already mentally planning a weekend trip up to Pittsburgh to wander his museum.
- My Secret Santa gift from work. We drew names and bought things for coworkers and I have to admit I was a little apprehensive about what I might receive (many people exchanged alcohol, cigarettes, lottery tickets...) but my Secret Santa did a great job...I got a bag of loose tea leaves, a strainer for the top of my teacup, and a gift certificate for the tea room across the street from the restaurant. I am so pleased!
- MY NEW CAMERA! It's a Yashica Mat 124G...which of course I bought so I could shoot all that 120 Ektar I got for Christmas ;) It's so beautiful. I can not WAIT to test it out this weekend when I visit Evin!
- ► 2014 (39)
- ► 2013 (34)
- ▼ 2012 (141)
- ► 2011 (171)