July 16, 2014

karly gardens: july 15, 2014






















Though it has only officially been summer for less than a month, I can't help but think about the fall.  I spent all winter and early spring planning the garden, starting seeds, and absolutely itching to get outside.  Now that things have been growing for months, I have started to consider what I'll grow once the summer crops are finished.  It seems really ridiculous!  But, I know I'm not the only one.  Gardeners are planning and ordering seeds for their cool-season endeavors, and this will be my first year attempting to grow past September.  It is exciting to think about harvesting produce in October and November and even December, but it is still the height of summer!  I need to get my head in the game!
Since my last post, I've harvested a few more firsts...first tomatoes, first cucumber, first zucchini, first beans.  The tomato plants are still looking ratty but seem to be moderately happy (I've now attached our 2 hoses together to make SUPERHOSE, which allows me to water my plants at the base rather than showering them from above), the jalapeƱo plants are producing abundantly (though the plants are small) and the cucumber production may be ramping up.  Squash and zucchini, in contrast to last year, are struggling.  I've harvested one yellow squash and one zucchini.  I hope they get their act together...but I know for next year I really need to feed the soil.  Bean plants are producing a couple of beans a day, while I expected they'd be more prolific.  The pumpkin vines continue to reach into the yard and explode with yellow blossoms every morning, but no pumpkins spotted yet (I need to be patient...if I want them for Halloween, I don't want to se them yet).  The zinnias surrounding the mailbox are booming, which makes me very happy...I was inspired to plant a mailbox garden after snapping this photo two years ago, and am pleased with the bright and cheerful outcome so far.
Finally, a few iPhone images of harvests and things over the last two weeks...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...