So, I finally developed a roll of black and white film at home. Here are my thoughts on the process/outcome:
- the process is simple and fun
- pulling the developed negatives off the roll is the most exciting thing ever
- many of these negatives seem improperly exposed...unfortunately I can't pinpoint the cause right now, because it may be faulty scanning (using an all-in-one printer/scanner/copier in combination with my iPod as a backlight), or it might be improper development time, or it might be improper exposure in camera
- shooting black and white is not like shooting color, you have to rely on composition and contrast rather than color (which I have apparently been dependent on in the past...see flower photos above that look terribly boring)
- I need a negative scanner ASAP
- I think black and white photography will be better suited to late fall and winter conditions
- I wish I could develop color film at home...maybe someday.